Michigan is gorgeous when it is covered by a fresh blanket of sparkling snow. God truly blesses us with the seasons. Winter can be a wonderful time of the year, but it can also be a difficult time of the year for some people. The sun goes into hiding, the days feel shorter, the air is bitter cold, and the kids are going a little stir crazy from not being able to play outside for as long, and let’s face it- it seems like we can get on each other’s nerves a little easier this time of year. Simply being in a house together does not equal spending quality time together though. It is so important to remember to make time for family togetherness. Quality time as a family does not have to be difficult or expensive. Here are some ideas to encourage your family to spend quality time together and get the most out of the season!
- When the snow starts flying why not use it and build a snowman!?
- Try out something new by having fun with fondue! Melt some cheese and dip meats and crackers into it. Why not try out melting chocolate and getting imaginative with what you dip in it! Fruits, marshmallows, pretzels, get creative!
- Tis the season to catch a parade or two with the family!
- Get cozy indoors and wrap up in some blankets! Put in a good family movie and enjoy some hot chocolate and popcorn together
- How about some friendly competition? Ever played soccer in the snow? Have fun playing soccer with a twist as a family! What a great way to get moving and get some fresh air!
- Have a pajama day where you stay cozy all day and play board games!
- Do you have a smart phone? Try making a stop-motion video!
- Need to get out some energy and have fun while doing it? Throw a dance party in your living room! Put on some fun music and get your dance on!
- Want to get outside? Get bundled up and go sledding! Take a winter hike! Go snow shoeing! Take a moment to catch snowflakes on your tongues!
- Get the chairs, couch cushions, and blankets out! Build a fort you can play or read in!
- Take a drive and check out the holiday lights in your area!
- Try ice fishing!
- Create a scavenger hunt that the whole family can be a part of!
- Have a beach day! Go see Lake Michigan frozen! It is gorgeous!
- How about going ice skating! There are indoor and outdoor options all over!
- Have fun with the snow! Go skiing or snowboarding! Make snow angels! Have a snowball fight! Play hockey! Head to one of the free trails and go snowmobiling!
- Get really creative and fill up spray bottles with water and food coloring, then spray your snow creations with them to add a pop of color!
- Get crafty! Make paper snowflakes, color or paint winter themed pictures, make bird feeders, learn to sew or knit, make snow globe bottles! Pinterest is full of easy and free crafts!
- Bake cookies and decorate them! Have breakfast for dinner! Try making snowman shaped pancakes, and enjoy an indoor picnic with your food/baked goods!
- Have a little friendly competition! See who can stack blocks or cups the fastest! Why not have a family talent show or magic show? Show off your moves with a dance party!
- Make a family time capsule together! Put in things that remind you of all your favorite memories from 2017!
- Take time to learn about your family tree or hear stories from grandparents!
- Have a winter bon fire and enjoy some s’mores!
- Do something for someone else. Give back to the community. Do a good deed for a neighbor or even a stranger. Nothing will get you into that holiday spirit better!
- Get organized! Have everyone in your house put things they no longer use, need, or like into a box and donate it!
- Take a horse drawn carriage ride and see the pretty holiday lights!
- Try making a stop motion video together!
- Freeze water balloons then go bowling in your lawn with them!
- Play dress up and make a funny music video!
- Go to a Winter festival!
It does not matter what you decide to do as a family; as long as you are together and having fun! We would love to see your pictures!! Please share them with us by emailing them to: CathyD@fearlessfollower.org
Happy Winter Everyone! Get out there and enjoy it!
Ridge Point Children’s Ministry Coordinator